Miracles

One of the best things I’ve ever laid my eyes on was seeing was a large group of foreigners in China touring the Forbidden City with their newly adopted baby daughters in strollers. All I could think to myself was: On more than one level—those baby girls’ lives have just been saved.

For those of you who don’t know me, I was born in Korea, and I was adopted when I was 3 ½ months old. The most infuriating moment I’ve ever had in Japan was being told by an old man that my parents are not my parents and my sister is not my sister because we are not blood related. My parents have been the only mother and father who have raised me strong, taught me right from wrong, encouraged me to take every opportunity, and above all else, have always made it clear how much they love me, even when I've really tried them. And my sister has been the only sister whom I have loved, tortured, and admired as an older sister does. So, I don’t see how blood has anything to do with anything, when it’s love, sweat, and tears that make a family.

I am always saddened when I hear in the news about surrogate mothers giving birth to couples who can’t have children. Of course, they have the right to have a family however they so choose, but I can’t help but think about the millions of children in this world who are already on this earth and who desperately need families and love.

Everyday of my life, I never lose sight of how much I am blessed. I don’t often think about what my life would have been had I never been adopted. But when I do, I am reminded that miracles do happen.

When it is time in your life to start a family, I hope you will remember that you have the power to perform a miracle.