The Coming Days.....

It is eight minutes past nine right now and I am typing this as Matt is complaining about the nats that have appeared in his shower. He is wondering where nats come from. Perhaps the drain? Anyway, the music he is playing is pure cacophony to my ears but I don't want to complain about it at this point. Now it is eleven minutes past nine and ...... I don't know what I want to say.

My brain - as per usual - is not operating so well. I think I will simply stick to my plan to provide a general preview for my log entries during the rest of the week. Pardon me my poor prose and ...........

I am tired because I have just returned from a barn-storming tour of Seoul. I am not sure what to say about that right now other than that I was sure glad to return to Japan. With regard to Kim's excellent series of entries last week, I found it interesting that it was while I was in Seoul that I read about her comments about racial discrimination, racial minorities being the subject of stares, and her own Korea connection. The timing of it all seemed quite appropriate to me. I will have much to say about Korea, Japan, expatriate living and matters of that kind in the days ahead.

Not now, though. I need to do some editing in my head so as not to come off in a way that will be offensive, unfair, prejudicial and ............ I don't know. I consider it a rather frightening thing to discuss matters of culture considering how sensitive these matters can be. I will get around to it, though.

I just managed to talk Matt into pulling this crap out of his stereo. It is AWFUL!

Existentialism. Yeah. I was in a hurry when I wrote a comment last week about existentialism, Soren Kierkegaard and existential angst. There was some interesting stuff written both in the blog posting and in the comments as well. It was not my intention to use a big word where a smaller word would have done just as well; I am not aware of any simpler equivalent for 'existentialism'. Nor did I mean any insult when I wrote about 'existential angst'. I'll explain later, though. It was also interesting to read someone talking about taking a 'leap of faith' after my own comment. Well, well, well. Would anyone like to guess which nineteenth century Danish Lutheran theologian coined that phrase? All will be revealed........

No, it won't. The truth is that I once could have told you what existentialism was. Two classes dealing mostly with existentialism later, though, and I had not idea. Now, I am just an old fool. Read what I have to say and laugh at me.

I plan to write about my all time favorite psychologist, a person who has fundamentally changed the way I think about life and the 'meaning' of life. Matt also likes the guy a lot and it was something of a shock for us both when we first sat down for a cup of coffee and discovered that we were both familiar with his work. I highly recommend that you avoid reading that posting; reading it carries with it the danger that you will become a little more like us. There are some things that you do not want to have happen to you in life.

I plan to write about my favorite website by a retired lawyer in Albuquerque who is a former competitive weightlifter, power lifter, bodybuilder and current master's level indoor rower (one of the best in the world, I believe). I am crazily enthusiastic about this person and his writing to the point where I am filled with an almost missionary-like zeal to spread the word about him. In all the time I have spent reading about matters pertaining to health and fitness, I have never read anything that I believe can match what he has to say. A major complaint I have about most exercise regimens is that they just take up too much time to be practically followed by regular people. How about lifting weights just one day per week and doing intensive cardiovascular training one day per week with some walking thrown in between? Try his suggestions and I believe he can change your life to a degree that will shock you. I know I sound like a dork right now (always?). I don't care.

I don't know what else I will right about. Whatever. I think I will start off with a story, though, for people to read on Tuesday (I'll be busy in Fukuoka all day) before I return for some serious blogging on Wednesday. Jeepers, creepers, it's thirteen minutes after ten.......