If You Don't Believe What You Write, Why Write It?

Are there differences between these two sentences?

No one from Kyushu is cool.
Everyone from Tokyo is cool.

Which sentence is going to get your panties all in a bunch?

How about this?

The people here are always so kind.
The students here are always so lame.

Or…

When it comes to relationships, all that men are interested in is sex.
When it comes to relationships, all that women are interested in is money.

Which sentences seem unfair? Are those the sentences you would criticize? Which sentences do you empathize with? Are those the sentences you’d accept and dismiss as exaggeration?

If you examine the context of the sentences, they’re all the same. But why are some innocuous? And why do others make you uncomfortable?

Why is it that we can’t distinguish the difference between hyperbole in a negative connotation and hyperole in a positive connotation?

Why do we feel the need to cry injustice about hyperbole that involves people or demographics but hyperbole about the weather goes unnoticed? Clearly, we understand that it doesn’t ALWAYS rain in Ireland. We wouldn’t tell a person, “Now, Aine, if it doesn’t really always rain in Ireland, why write it?” Would we? Of course not because that would just be silly. But God forbid hyperbole is employed when talking about people! Suddenly then, people start thinking literally.

If you don’t believe what you write, why write it?

These aren’t my words. They are Lee’s. And you can read the context of them in the comments section of my Dating Again post.

“If you don’t believe what you write, why write it?” That’s like saying, “If you don’t mean what you say, then why say it.”

We’ve all told off color jokes about races, religion, handicapped people, women, men, blondes, etc. And just because we tell them doesn’t mean we mean them. Right?

Might I remind anyone who needs reminding, if you glance over at the upper left hand corner of this blog page, take a look at what is written in green, “A vent for all the steam created by highly paid, underworked, expatriot English teachers living in Japan. Gammanshimashou!”

Sure, if you read my words, you might think, “Dude, Kim is bitter.” Or you might think, “Sounds like Kim needs to get laid.” Or you might think, “Girlfriend, I feel your pain.” Whatever your impression is, it’s YOUR impression. If you want to judge me, it’s entirely your prerogative to do so. But let me say this, if you find that I’m bitter or too negative, then perhaps the act of judging me is no different than me making a blanket statement.

Do with my writing what you will. Read it. Don’t read it. Criticize it. Criticize me. I don’t really care what you think of me. Think I’m funny. Think I’m bitter. Think I’m young. Think I’m naïve. Think I’m thought-provoking. This is all a part of the risk of writing for others to see. And I’m not going to bend my style (not for a blog!) to suit you.

How about this, “If you don’t believe what they say, why buy it?”