and it was over...

Well just thought I should say something to end the "Week of Richard". Writing this made me think of something I saw on the 'Oprah Winfrey Show' of all things. It was about a "gratitude journal", what's that Richard? Well it's a journal (surprisingly enough) in which at the end of everyday, you write down 5 things that happened to you, that you are grateful for.

Now when I first heard this, I groaned and dismissed it as a load of new-age nonsense. But something that was said made me change my mind. Which was, if you know that at the end of each day you have to think of 5 positive things that happened to you, you start to look for things as you go about your business, to be grateful for. So instead of fixating on some perceived hardship that you encounter, you dismiss it and look for and remember and appreciate the good things that happen to you.

So during this week I have been doing just that. It's easy to find things in a foreign country to complain about. We all do it. But there are so many things that we all have to be grateful for, wouldn't it be nice to appreciate those once in a while?

So here are mine from Saturday, when I went to Karatsu with a friend.

1. That we made it to the restaurant in time.
2. That we found Yobuko!
3. That my teacher was free to meet us.
4. That I could meet people on Saturday for a friend's birthday.
5. That you read this far!

Thanks to the people who have read this week and encouraged me, I appreciate it...maybe that's number 6, goodness it's out of control...!

Richard.