Wandering tribes of puppy eating bats

Tuesday morning has no animal associated with it at all. It is simply Tuesday morning, reliable, regular and calm. There is no post weekend euphoria that is slowly worn away in a school were kids are disciplined for sometimes what I consider to be the most retarded and unnecessary misdemeanors. It’s just a Tuesday.

I thought last weeks typhoon was distinctly disappointing. Although majestically slow, Nabi just failed to impress me as much as Songda did last year. True, Songda did rip a tree behind my apartment in half and this year that tree is, well, just not there to be ripped in half again, but Nabi just seemed to be a bit of a let down. I was looking forward to a good storm. I like storms. They’re dramatic. Like me, I’m often dramatic. I can’t help it. It’s the way I’ve always been. It can be particularly hard to switch off at times. It’s what makes me a decent (and decently impoverished at times) actor.

So far I’ve worked my way through a large pile of marking today. Oh the sense of raw and unexaggerated accomplishment that flowed through my veins as I placed the last cross on the stack of worksheets in front of me. It was tantamount to the feeling I’m sure Moses may have had if he did indeed part the red sea. Except with less fish and Hebrew pilgrims.

I left my Hebrew pilgrims at home this morning. What do you do with your lost tribes when you’re at school?

I still don’t consider myself to be a teacher in the fullest sense of the word. I have no formal training to teach young people, I can’t read or write the majority of the language so working can often be slightly limited because of this. However, I think more points should be awarded in grading to students who display more creative and interesting answers. I think it highlights that not only do they grasp the concepts they are practicing; they are comfortable to manipulate them in more abstract terms than the exercise allows for. Today for example I was marking a worksheet. On the worksheet are two cartoon pictures of a city. One is fifty years in the past and the other is in the present. Using the patterns of there is and there was, along with the associated correct grammar and syntax, the students have to create 10 statements about the town, such as

There was a school in this town fifty years ago.

One girl in particular drew little brackets linking two of her statements together. In the first statement she observed that,


There were some trees in this town fifty years ago.


With the second cartoon displaying a distinct lack of trees in the city, instead focusing more on convenience stores and tall buildings she then observed that,


There aren’t any rainbows in this town now.


I wanted to give her more than two marks for these sentences. It was just a good observation and comment not only on the worksheet, the grim realities of the distinct lack of rainbows in the day’s English routine, but also on encroaching urbanization and the degradation of the environment.

I have stood accused in the past of being able to read too much into things.


The rest of the day after this will be taken up with back to back classes until the late afternoon. I prefer to be busy during the school day if at all possible. Tomorrow there are tests running all day, no classes, nothing to do. The day looms over the horizon like a fat bloated bat, gorged on the flesh of dead puppies. Or any other kind of creature that, if feasted upon, by a horrible bat, would provide you, dear reader, with an appropriately visceral response to the description of my anticipation of approaching uselessness.



Also trying to publish this post from a Japanese computer is hard as all the buttons are in fucking heathen squiggle language.