Autumn at last!!!!

Record this date in the books: On this day, September 12, for the first time since I came here, I TURNED OFF MY AIRCON. It has FINALLY started to turn cool. It was cool on Sunday too, for Sports Day, but I thought it was just a fluke. Today they left the fans off in the staffroom and it was still cool - in fact one of my JTEs complained about being cold!!!

My body's still screwed-up to buggery though. See, up to now I've never lived anywhere except the Southern Hemisphere, where the seasons are opposite. So my body is like, is this March or something? What happened to Christmas?!?!? O_o

Today was basically my first day of "real" teaching - apart from half of one class with Ono Sensei last week, it's been all self intros up to now. Today I was with the ichinensei again, and I was mostly just sort of helping out - like reading out stuff and going around making sure they all got what was going on. Had to fight off hysterical laughter at one point because the passage they were doing reminded me of this book I read when I was a teenager, where the whole class cracks up because the name of the fictional family in their language textbook sounds sex-related. I won't go into details 'cause it's kinda culturally offensive, but it was hilarious and the passage just reminded me of it. Had to quickly think of something else to keep from rofling. Two boys also learned some extra English today. They'd accidentally chosen pink stickers from my sticker pot and came up afterwards and said "Kaette ii?" So I taught them how to say "Can I change it?" in English, and made them say it before I let them swap.

Went to the last of my primary schools today, Ariake East. Like Ono Sensei, they didn't want the self intro to be the whole period, but what we did for the rest of it involved a lot of songs and games, so I think the kids enjoyed it and took it in OK. The teacher's English isn't that crash-hot though - quite heavily accented and sometimes says the wrong stuff. I'm not going to get on his case about everything he gets wrong, as that'd be counter-productive (and the kids probably aren't going to be affected by a once-off comment said wrong anyway) but I will need to have a quiet word to him about how to say "Please put your books over there" properly, as if all the lessons have games that need a space cleared then that's probably something that'll get said a lot, and it's stuff that's repeated all the time that the kids learn. That said, he's a nice guy and GREAT with the kids - he really went all out and sort of clowned around a bit. Afterwards these 3 kids hung around me for the first part of the way back to the chuugakkou asking me stuff, until it started raining.

I still haven't played half the CDs I bought in Fukuoka Book Off a few weeks ago - I bought 41 for about 10,000. Ripped a few more tonight and the one I'm playing is quite good. It's the first album by Every Little Thing, this pop group that got started 10ish years ago and appear to still be going strong now. I love that there's still pop music in Japan, rather than being nearly 100% R&B and hip hop like it is in NZ. I don't like either genre, and I HATE, HATE, HATE TRANSLATING RAP!!!! With pretty much all the other genres the song tells a story, so if something's ambiguous you can usually work it out by the context. But Japanese rap is all this random crap thrown together and it is a royal pain in the butt, made worse by the fact that there's like twice as many lyrics as regular songs. Even my friend hates it, and she was the translator for Digimon when it was around. And on that note, I am going to see if I can make a dent in the God-awful waiting list that has accumulated since I left NZ. Oyasumi!!