fun with discipline...

I had a lot of expectations of what Japanese school children were like before arriving in Saga....One of those expectations was discpline and respect...While students in the US could be tough at times, I never expected that I would experience any problems with discpline in Japan....boy was I wrong...(well only one school, one class...but they make up for 100 devils)

I am lucky enough to teach at a small country school along the northern peninsula..While the 1 and 2nenseis are amazing kids, the 3nens are famous throughout saga for being Punks and delinquents...To put it in perspective over the past year, they have pulled out dildos and vibrators on me in the middle of class, beat up a teacher, and had issues with bullying and vandelizing...Because of the 10 extremely wild and rude boys, the 3nen classes are known as the ZOO....

Since I started working ath the school over a year ago, I was shocked a thte lack of discipline....While the teachers all accept that the boys are terrible and lack respect for all people, they do absolutely nothing about it...The kids have been able to take full control over the school and know that htey can get away with everything....

With the change oft he school year, we got a new principal and things started to improve..ring leader #1 was removed from the classroom for violence and agression finally...he now stays in the principals office all day doing who knows what...the other kids are getting better, but still have a LONG way to go...they just have no respect for anyone, dont study, and threaten other students..

After taking 4 weeks off of school because of foot surgery, i retruned to my school on Monday morning...I had all I could do to make it up the stairs to the teachers room, never mind teaching my 6 classes ad walking....One of the punk kids decided that it would be funny to make fun of my limping and try to get me pissed off...After calling me many names, being rude, and getting no response from me, he decided it would be funny to come over and kick my bad food and push me so i fell on te floor,..After a head on shot to the foot and a good push in the back, i was pretty pissed off and in pain, I yelled at him in Japanese, gave him a nasty stare then walked away to work with anotehr student...he wasnt satisfied and came over and did it again...this time the whole class heard me get angry, saw my nasty look, and I left the class...

After class, the teacher came to me and asked if I was ok...i was so angry at the fact that the students were allowed to continuously act like animals and be so disrespectlul and demanded an apology from the student...i told her that until he grew up and apologized I would not return to the class...She keot apologizing and saying that it was her fault that this all happend Had she been a better teacher none of this would have happened. The amazing thign was that she never acted in class...that was because she was so use to the class being a zoo she didnt notice anything different than normal...that was until I stormed out of the room

The teachers and principals all took responsibility for his actions, claiming that it was their fault that he had not learned proper behavior a morals...I responsed that I was not looking for their apology.i wanted it to be from HIM and be sincere....He is a teenager and is old enough to take responsiblity for himself, and should know right from wrong...I demanded that he met with mem apologized, and got disciplined.

Today I returned to that school....He came into the staff room and asked to speak with me..my JTE came with us to help translate...Turns out that he did give me a sincere apology, however there was still something about it that just wasnt right,....That part was when I was stating what I expected him to do(respect me, apologize, start working in class, and never ever threaten or hurt teachers or students again) the teacher was translating it toally inaccuratley....If I said, please learn to respect people and act your age, he was told" Be good:. When I asked him why he kicked me after knowing I was really hurt, he claimed he didnt believe that I was really bad...He wanted to see if I was faking it and wanted to see evidence....I setteld that very quickly by taking off my shoe, revealing my oversized and scarred foot and saying...is this enough for you?...I think that freaked the shit out of him and I dont think he will ever disrespect me again....today he was bowing like crazy and gomenig every time i saw him...

The bottom line is that too many teachers take full responsibility for students actions...they dont discipline for teh most part and students never learn to take care of themselves and respect others....If teachers always take blame for students faults, they will never learn....I am a big stickler for people taking responsibility for their own mistakes and treating people with respect....It killed me to see the teachers saying that it was their fault for a 15 yr old boy being stupid and aggressive. While I could have just walked this whole situation off, it was ot the first time something like this had happend. I saw how the boys had driven the art teacher out of their job and I was not going to let the kids get away with it again...By making a big fuss about it and having the kid apologize to me, I made him realize i wouldnt put up with it, had him really scared and accept that what he did was wrong..He was horrified when he had to talk with me today...And during the whole day, he was nothing but respectful to me...and word must have gotten around to his friends bc they were ALL perfect angels today..Its just shocking that i am the only one who will not put up with this crap that they do on a daily basis...I was not aggressive, didnt yell, didnt make them do anything but give an apology, admit he was wrong, and made him talk directly with me and give reasons for his actions....I hope that this has fixed the issues in english class temporarily, but above all i hope that he will learn a little from this...

If the teachers in Japan always take responsiblity for their students actions, how will the kids ever learn right from wrong, mature, and take care of their selves. While this school is an extreme case, I know that discipline is a huge issue at all schools....What is taught in moral education, and how far can students push their teachers before they are disciplined? Is it ok for the ALT to discipline if the other teachers dont?

ok enough gabbing for now...