Rice...

i just got back from a meal at Joyfull... i ordered the ebi fry side but they gave me the whole meal...rice and miso soup included...Usually when served rice I can suck it up and eat it...but today I was just riced out...It still amazes me how they can eat rice about 5 times a day and never get sick of it..

At my mountain elementary school this morning, I made mochi with my 5 and 6th graders(all 12 of them) If you have never made it before, you should definitely try...its a lot of fun but tons of work. Heres a quick overview of the process...Make a fire and boil some water. Steam up a whole pot of rice.... Put the cooked rice in this big stone thingy...then take really big mallots like a judge uses and beat the crap out of the rice for about 20 minutes. It takes about 3 people to pound it in sequence...It was great because I was sick of hearing ichi ni san ichi ni san over and over again so I decided to teach them the names of Santas reindeer...Next thing i knew we were pounding mochi in sequence singing "Dasher dancer prancer vixon comit cupid donner blitzen RUDOLPH! then would repeat it agian....sounds ridiculous I know but they loved it...They couldnt understand why I knew all the names of santas reindeer since Santa only has 1piki in Japan...I quickly responded with "well why can you sing the names of all the kunchi floats and neighborhoods in about 2 seconds" Then that turned into "Akajishi, aojisihi... la la la) Yes I am damn proud that I now know the order of all the Karatsu Kunchi floats in chronological order. Moving on...Once we finished making about 3 kilos of mochi. it was time to make them taste delicious...We had to take the sticky mochi, roll it into balls, and then put powered sugar on them so they didnt stick to our hands...We had toppings galore..I felt like I was at an icecream sundae bar, only instead of chocoloate and sprinkles we had daikon, soy powder, beans, and soy sauce.(only in Japan) I like mochi but dont tend to eat tons of it...however, when they realized that I would eat everything that they gave me, they decided to have fun with it and make all sorts of special mochi suprises for erin sensei...once i was finished I was full of rice from head to toe..we packaged all the mochi into bags and then cleaned up..it was now lunch time....

yay! whats for lunch? Egg soup(ok...no soup for erin today says the soup egg allergy nazi), seafood salad, and...you guessed it...RICE....since I couldnt eat the soup they gave me extra special amounts of rice... I was already full from all the rice mochi I had only 30 before so eating today was painful...they were laughing when i said i was full of mochi bc they were like but its not food..its only mochi...I tried explaining that it was rice all the same, but htye just wouldnt believe me...Erin...its only mochi...they are small...it doesnt even look like rice..Little did they know that each student had had me sample like crazy....My school is very serious about wasting food so i had to eat it all...I was now beyond full of rice and felt slightly sick...after school, they gave me mochi to take home with me...
The crazy amounts of rice that were served to me today put me on overload...I couldnt even look at it at Joyfull.

How can they eat it all the damn time and never get sick of it? Breakfast, rice....lunch, RICE, dinner, rice, dessert, rice...drinking...rice wine...snack...rice crackers...job...rice farming...What would Japan do without rice...I dont think they could survive. Whenever im asked the question what do you have for breakfast. I always answer something like toast, bagels, oranges, or whatever...they all go...ehhhh...erin sensei you dont like miso soup and rice? Even though i explain that I have miso soup and rice with school lunch 5 days a week the last thing I want is that for breakfast, they just dont get it...But its the Japanese way they say....When I was in the hospital i got rice and miso soup for breakfast...that was the only time ive had it for breakfast and it just didnt feel right...i never really enjoyed eating it but they doctors made me eat it all...I like miso soup, yes...but to have it 3 times a day from the time I am born to when I am 105(the age of the average obachan out where I teach on Thursdays) thats just too much miso soup. Maybe thats why they can live for so long...rice, green tea, and miso soup...

so ya...rice...tomorrow once again im at a different school and rice is on the menu..as well as egg soup...so my lunch will once again be the same...a big bowl of white rice, seafood salad, and cream(milk) I will once again exlain to the students why I am missing the soup from my tray(bc they all freak out when they realize I am not getting enough food), why I can use chopsticks with my left hand(and then they try and spill their food all over themselves...ahhh hidarikiki!), why I always janken my milk away on Fridays(bc 5 days of cream is just too much), and how rice is just oh sooo oishii!

I think I am going to boycott rice when I go home for xmas..3 weeks, no rice...I think its what I need...1.5 years of eating rice has just been too much..todays rice overload was the last straw...i need a mental break from gohan and get some good western food in me(mmm...i can smell it now!) anyway..enough about rice...time for my green tea and sleep...