Disillusioned

I'm totally disillusioned as I come back from teaching my morning classes and see the state of student's English at the end of the year. A simple gesture game that my Shogakkou 2-nen sei's can do, is overly difficult for my Chugakkou 2-nen sei's. When asked to do a gesture for "baseball", the student looked at me in absolute horror as if I had asked her to do a gesture for "astrophysics." When I asked her if she understood the word (which was written in Japanese and English) she shook her head violently and said it was impossible. Then when I counted down her time, she tried to "imitate" baseball my waving her hand gingerly from the wrists. I understand that students are shy and socially inept, but ohmygoodness! I could have banged my head against the wall a few times. Anyways, I get a break right now so I'm going to do just that in the tatami room. Have a good day.